English Online Dictionary. What means abs? What does abs mean?
- (international standards) ISO 639-3 language code for Ambonese Malay.
- IPA(key): /æbz/
- Rhymes: -æbz
- Abbreviation of abstract.
- (informal) The abdominal muscles. plural of ab [First attested in the mid 20th century.]
- Acronym of absolute temperature.
- (mathematics) Initialism of absolute value function.
(abdominal muscles): The singular ab is rarely used.
- abdominal muscles
- third-person singular simple present indicative form of ab
- B. A. S., B.A.S., B.A.s, BAS, BAs, BSA, SAB, SBA, Sab., bas, sab
From Proto-Italic *aps, variant of *ap (see ab). Compare Ancient Greek ἄψ (áps, “back again; in return”).
- (Classical) IPA(key): /abs/, [äps̠]
- (Ecclesiastical) IPA(key): /abs/, [äbs]
abs (+ ablative)
- (archaic) Alternative form of ab
- This form is used almost exclusively with the second person singular pronoun (tē) in Old Latin up until the early Classical period as an archaicism, with Cicero hesitating between 'abs tē' and 'ā tē' until the latter won out in the final years of his life. The variant most likely became obsolete at the latest by the end of the Augustan era.
- inessive singular of ab
Abbreviation of abraços (“hugs”).
abs m pl (plural only)
- (Internet slang, text messaging) hugs
- (Internet slang, text messaging) used to close an informal message or e-mail, or as a goodbye on text messaging
- Synonym: bjs
For quotations using this term, see Citations:abs.
- plural of ab
- “abs, n.” in the Dictionary of the Scots Language, Edinburgh: Scottish Language Dictionaries.