English Online Dictionary. What means vocabulary? What does vocabulary mean?
From French vocabulaire, borrowed from Late Latin vocābulārium. See vocable.
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /vəʊˈkabjʊləɹɪ/, /vəˈkabjʊləɹɪ/
- (General American) IPA(key): /voʊˈkæbjəlɛɹi/, /vəˈkæbjəlɛɹi/
- Hyphenation: vo‧cab‧u‧lary
vocabulary (countable and uncountable, plural vocabularies)
- A usually alphabetized and explained collection of words e.g. of a particular field, or prepared for a specific purpose, often for learning.
- The collection of words a person knows and uses.
- My Russian vocabulary is very limited.
- The stock of words used in a particular field.
- The vocabulary of social sciences is often incomprehensible to ordinary people.
- The words of a language collectively; lexis.
- The vocabulary of any language is influenced by contacts with other cultures.
- (by extension) A range of artistic or stylistic forms or techniques.
- defining vocabulary
- controlled vocabulary
- extended vocabulary