English Online Dictionary. What means taught? What does taught mean?
From Middle English taught(e), tau(h)t(e), from Old English tāhte, tǣhte, from Proto-Germanic *taihtē.
- (Received Pronunciation) enPR: tôt, IPA(key): /tɔːt/
- (General American) enPR: tôt, IPA(key): /tɔt/
- (cot–caught merger) enPR: tät, IPA(key): /tɑt/
- (Ireland) IPA(key): /t̪ɒːt/
- Homophones: taut, tort (non-rhotic accents), tot (with cot-caught merger), thought (Hiberno-English)
- Rhymes: -ɔːt
- simple past tense and past participle of teach
- guttah, taghut