English Online Dictionary. What means railway? What does railway mean?
rail + way.
- IPA(key): /ˈɹeɪlˌweɪ/
- Rhymes: -eɪlweɪ
railway (plural railways)
- (chiefly UK, Ireland and Commonwealth) A transport system using rails used to move passengers or goods.
- (chiefly UK, Ireland and Commonwealth) A track, consisting of parallel rails, over which wheeled vehicles such as trains may travel.
- (track): railroad track, railway track, railway line, rails
- (system): (US) railroad, rail
- rwy, RY, Ry., ry (abbreviations)
- railbuff (railway enthusiast)
- IPA(key): /ʁɛ.lwɛ/, /ʁe.lwɛ/
railway m (plural railways)
- (Anglicism) railway
- Synonym: chemin de fer
- “railway”, in Trésor de la langue française informatisé [Digitized Treasury of the French Language], 2012.