English Online Dictionary. What means obtain? What does obtain mean?
- obtein, obteyn (obsolete)
From Middle English obteinen, from Anglo-Norman obtenir, optiner et al., and Middle French obtenir, from Latin obtinēre (“to gain, achieve, succeed, possess”), from ob- + tenēre (“to hold”).
- IPA(key): /əbˈteɪn/
- Rhymes: -eɪn
- Homophone: abthane
obtain (third-person singular simple present obtains, present participle obtaining, simple past and past participle obtained)
- (transitive) To get hold of; to gain possession of, to procure; to acquire, in any way. [from 15th c.]
- (intransitive, obsolete) To secure (that) a specific objective or state of affairs be reached. [15th–19th c.]
- (intransitive, obsolete) To prevail, be victorious; to succeed. [15th–19th c.]
- (transitive, obsolete) To hold; to keep, possess or occupy. [15th–18th c.]
- (intransitive, archaic) To exist or be the case; to hold true, be in force. [from 17th c.]
- (to gain possession of): get, gain, acquire, attain, procure
- Bonita, batino, boat-in