English Online Dictionary. What means machinery? What does machinery mean?
From French machinerie (“machinery”), from machine (“machine”); see machine.
- enPR: mə-shē'nə-rē, IPA(key): /məˈʃiːnəɹi/
- Rhymes: -iːnəɹi
machinery (countable and uncountable, plural machineries)
- The machines constituting a production apparatus, in a plant etc., collectively.
- The working parts of a machine as a group.
- The collective parts of something which allow it to function.
- (figuratively) The literary devices used in a work, notably for dramatic effect
- heavy machinery
- political machinery
- “machinery”, in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, Springfield, Mass.: G. & C. Merriam, 1913, →OCLC.
- “machinery”, in The Century Dictionary […], New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911, →OCLC.