English Online Dictionary. What means java? What does java mean?
- IPA(key): /ˈd͡ʒɑː.və/
- Rhymes: -ɑːvə
From Java, an island on and near which a particular blend of coffee is made. The US use of the term to refer to any coffee originated in San Francisco, an early center of the US coffee trade.
java (countable and uncountable, plural javas)
- A blend of coffee imported from the island of Java.
- (US, colloquial) Coffee in general.
From French java.
java (plural javas)
- A dance popular in France in the early 20th century.
- Java (dance) on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- definite of javë
(This etymology is missing or incomplete. Please add to it, or discuss it at the Etymology scriptorium.)
- IPA(key): /ʒa.va/
java f (plural javas)
- (dance) a popular dance developed in 1920s Paris
- faire la java
- “java”, in Trésor de la langue française informatisé [Digitized Treasury of the French Language], 2012.
- java (danse) on the French Wikipedia.Wikipedia fr
Lexicalization of the jav- stem variant of the adjective jó (“good”) + -a (possessive suffix).
- IPA(key): [ˈjɒvɒ]
- Hyphenation: ja‧va
- Rhymes: -vɒ
- (with a possessive suffix) the best (part) (the best or most important part of something)
- Synonym: legjava
- A java még hátravan! ― The best (part) is yet to come!
- (with a possessive suffix) someone’s benefit, advantage, interest
- Ez az ő javát szolgálja. ― This is for his/her own good. (literally, “…serves…”)
- java , redirecting to certain senses of jó in Bárczi, Géza and László Országh. A magyar nyelv értelmező szótára (‘The Explanatory Dictionary of the Hungarian Language’, abbr.: ÉrtSz.). Budapest: Akadémiai Kiadó, 1959–1962. Fifth ed., 1992: →ISBN
java f (4th declension)
- (construction) mortar (building material)
Inherited from Sanskrit जव (java).
- Pali Text Society (1921-1925), “java”, in Pali-English Dictionary, London: Chipstead
- IPA(key): /jǎːʋa/
- Hyphenation: ja‧va
jáva f (Cyrillic spelling ја́ва)
- The state opposite of the sleeping or dreaming state, wakefulness.
- “java” in Hrvatski jezični portal