English Online Dictionary. What means japan? What does japan mean?
From Japan, due to this varnishing process being an imitation of East Asian processes. Sense “to ordain” in reference to the black clothes worn by the clergy.
- IPA(key): /d͡ʒəˈpæn/
- Rhymes: -æn
japan (countable and uncountable, plural japans)
- A hard black enamel varnish containing asphalt.
japan (third-person singular simple present japans, present participle japanning, simple past and past participle japanned)
- (transitive) To varnish with japan.
- (UK, slang, transitive, obsolete, religion) To ordain.
- “japan”, in OneLook Dictionary Search.
- John Camden Hotten (1873) The Slang Dictionary
Japan + -an
- IPA(key): /jaˈpɑːn/
- A person from Japan.