English Online Dictionary. What means hairy? What does hairy mean?
From Middle English hery, heeri, hary, equivalent to hair + -y. Compare Saterland Frisian hierich (“hairy”), West Frisian hierrich (“hairy”), Dutch harig (“hairy”), German Low German harig (“hairy”), German haarig (“hairy”), Swedish hårig (“hairy”), Icelandic hárugur (“hairy”). Compare also Old English hǣriht (“hairy”) and ġehǣre (“hairy”).
The sense "terrifying, scary" possibly results from a blend of hair-raising and scary.
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈhɛə.ɹi/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈhɛɚ.i/
- Rhymes: -ɛəɹi
hairy (comparative hairier, superlative hairiest)
- (of a person) Having a lot of hair on the body.
- (of an animal) Having a lot of fur.
- (of a body part other than the head) Having hair growing from it.
- (informal) Difficult, complex, intricate, or intimidating.
- (informal) Causing anxiety or fright; terrifying, scary.
- (person): furry, hairful, hirsute
- (animal): furry
- (body part): furry, hirsute