English Online Dictionary. What means failure? What does failure mean?
From Anglo-Norman failer, from Old French faillir (“to fail”).
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈfeɪ.ljə/
- (Canada, General American) IPA(key): /ˈfeɪ.ljɚ/
failure (countable and uncountable, plural failures)
- State or condition of not meeting a desirable or intended objective, opposite of success.
- Omission to do something, whether or not it was attempted, especially something that ought to have been done.
- An object, person or endeavour in a state of failure or incapable of success.
- Termination of the ability of an item to perform its required function; breakdown.
- (opposite of success): fail (noun)
- (person incapable of success): loser
- (state or condition): success, triumph
- congestive heart failure, dam failure, failure to launch, failure to thrive, ground failure, heart failure, heart-failure, market failure, power failure, single-point failure, structural failure
- fail (verb), fail-fast, fail-safe, fail-stop