English Online Dictionary. What means ears? What does ears mean?
- (General American) IPA(key): /ɪɹz/, /ɪəɹz/
- (UK) IPA(key): /ɪəz/, /ɪə(ɹ)z/
- Rhymes: -ɪə(ɹ)z
- plural of ear
- third-person singular simple present indicative of ear
- AREs, ARSE, Ares, ERAs, Ersa, SERA, Sear, ares, arse, eras, rase, reas, sare, sear, sera
From Proto-West Germanic *ars, from Proto-Germanic *arsaz, from Proto-Indo-European *h₁orsos. Cognate with Old Frisian ers, Old Saxon ars, Old High German ars, Old Norse ars ~ rass, and more distantly with Old Armenian ոռ (oṙ, “ass”) and Modern Greek ουρά (ourá, “tail”).
- IPA(key): /æ͜ɑrs/, [æ͜ɑrˠs]
- butt, arse
- Middle English: ars, arce, ers, eres, hars, hers, aars
- English: arse, ass
- Scots: ers, airse