English Online Dictionary. What means darkness? What does darkness mean?
- darckness (obsolete)
- darkeness (obsolete)
From Middle English derknesse, from Old English deorcnes; equivalent to dark + -ness.
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈdɑːknəs/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈdɑɹknɪs/
- Rhymes: -ɑː(ɹ)knɪs, -ɑː(ɹ)knəs
- Hyphenation: dark‧ness
darkness (countable and uncountable, plural darknesses)
- (uncountable) The state of being dark; lack of light; the absolute or comparative absence of light.
- (uncountable) The state or quality of reflecting little light, of tending to a blackish or brownish color.
- (uncountable, countable) Any space that such colour pervades.
- (uncountable) Gloom; gloominess; depression.
- (countable) The product of being dark.
- (uncountable) Lack of understanding or compassion; spiritual or mental blindness.
- (uncountable) Secrecy; concealment.
- (uncountable) Lack of knowledge; obscurity or meaning or intelligibility; the unknown.
- (uncountable) Hell.
- dark (noun)