English Online Dictionary. What means calendar? What does calendar mean?
- kalendar (archaic)
- calender (obsolete)
From Middle English kalender, from Old French calendier, from Latin calendarium (“account book”), from kalendae (“the first day of the month”), from calō (“to announce solemnly, to call out (the sighting of the new moon)”), from Proto-Indo-European *kelh₁-. Doublet of calendarium.
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈkæl.ən.də/
- (US) enPR: kălʹən-dər, IPA(key): /ˈkæl.ən.dɚ/, [ˈkʰæl.(ə)n.dɚ]
- Rhymes: -æləndə(ɹ)
- Homophones: calender, qalandar, Callander
calendar (plural calendars)
- Any system by which time is divided into days, weeks, months, and years.
- A means to determine the date consisting of a document containing dates and other temporal information.
- A list of planned events.
- An orderly list or enumeration of persons, things, or events; a schedule.
- (US) An appointment book (US), appointment diary (UK)
- Calendar should not be confused with calender.
- (list of planned events): agenda, schedule, docket; calends (uncommon)
- menologium (monthly calendar); martyrology, menologium (calendar of saints' days); kalendar, menaion (liturgical calendar)
- Tok Pisin: kalenda
- → Japanese: カレンダー (karendā)
- → Korean: 카렌더 (karendeo)
- → Swahili: kalenda
calendar (third-person singular simple present calendars, present participle calendaring, simple past and past participle calendared)
- (law) To set a date for a proceeding in court, usually done by a judge at a calendar call.
- To enter or write in a calendar; to register.
- (Gregorian calendar months) Gregorian calendar month; January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December (Category: en:Gregorian calendar months)
- (Hebrew calendar months) Hebrew calendar month; Tishrei, Cheshvan, Kislev, Tevet, Shevat, Adar, Nisan, Iyar, Sivan, Tammuz, Av, Elul (Category: en:Hebrew calendar months)
- (Islamic calendar months) Islamic calendar month; Muharram, Safar, Rabi I, Rabi II, Jumada I, Jumada II, Rajab, Sha'ban, Ramadan, Shawwal, Dhu'l-Qa'da, Dhu'l-Hijja (Category: en:Islamic months)
- Calendar in the Encyclopædia Britannica (11th edition, 1911)
- calander, landcare, landrace
- călindar (popular)
Borrowed (in this form) from Latin calendārium. Compare the inherited doublet cărindar.
calendar n (plural calendare)
- Synonym: almanah