English Online Dictionary. What means calculation? What does calculation mean?
From Middle English calculation, borrowed from Latin calculatio, calculationis. Morphologically calculate + -ion
- (UK) IPA(key): /kælkjuˈleɪʃən/
- (US) IPA(key): /kælkjəˈleɪʃən/
- Rhymes: -eɪʃən
calculation (countable and uncountable, plural calculations)
- (mathematics, uncountable) The act or process of calculating.
- (mathematics, countable) The result of calculating.
- (countable) Reckoning, estimate.
- By my calculation, we should be there by midnight.
- (countable) An expectation based on circumstances.
- (chess, uncountable) The act or process of imagining sequences of potential moves and responses without actually moving the pieces.
- (act or process of calculating): computation, evaluation, reckoning (old); see also Thesaurus:calculation
- (Result of calculation): sum
- (estimate): estimate, guess, reckoning, measurement
- (act or process of imagining sequences of moves): reading
- auction call