English Online Dictionary. What means year? What does year mean?
From Middle English yeer, yere, from Old English ġēar (“year”), from Proto-West Germanic *jār, from Proto-Germanic *jērą (“year”), from Proto-Indo-European *yóh₁r̥ (“year, spring”).
- yeah (eye dialect)
- yeare, yeer, yeere, yere (obsolete)
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /jɪə/
- (General American) enPR: yîr, IPA(key): /jɪɹ/
- (Wales, other regions) IPA(key): /jɜː/
- Hyphenation: year
- Rhymes: -ɪə(r)
- Rhymes: -ɜː(r) (regional)
year (plural years)
- A solar year, the time it takes the Earth to complete one revolution of the Sun (between 365.24 and 365.26 days depending on the point of reference).
- (by extension) The time it takes for any astronomical object (such as a planet, dwarf planet, small Solar System body, or comet) in direct orbit around a star (such as the Sun) to make one revolution around the star.
- A period between set dates that mark a year, from January 1 to December 31 by the Gregorian calendar, from Tishiri 1 to Elul 29 by the Jewish calendar, and from Muharram 1 to Dhu al-Hijjah 29 or 30 by the Islamic calendar.
- A scheduled part of a calendar year spent in a specific activity.
- (sciences) A Julian year, exactly 365.25 days, represented by "a".
- A level or grade in school or college.
- The proportion of a creature's lifespan equivalent to one year of an average human lifespan (see also dog year).
- (one revolution of the Sun by the Earth): sun, twelvemonth
- (time to make one revolution by any body): anomalistic year, Gaussian year, sidereal year, tropical year
- (period between set dates): calendar year, civil year, legal year
- (specific uses): fiscal year, liturgical year, school year
- decade (10 years), century (100 years), millennium (1000 years)
- (Gregorian calendar months) Gregorian calendar month; January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December (Category: en:Gregorian calendar months)
- (Hebrew calendar months) Hebrew calendar month; Tishrei, Cheshvan, Kislev, Tevet, Shevat, Adar, Nisan, Iyar, Sivan, Tammuz, Av, Elul (Category: en:Hebrew calendar months)
- (Islamic calendar months) Islamic calendar month; Muharram, Safar, Rabi I, Rabi II, Jumada I, Jumada II, Rajab, Sha'aban, Ramadan, Shawwal, Dhu al-Qida, Dhu al-Hijjah (Category: en:Islamic months)
- year on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Pronunciation spelling of here.
- Pronunciation spelling of hear.
- Arey, Ayer, Ayre, Raye, Reay, Yare, aery, ayre, eyra, y'are, yare
From Middle English yeer, yere, from Old English ġēr, ġēar (“year”), from Proto-West Germanic *jār, from Proto-Germanic *jērą (“year”), from Proto-Indo-European *yōro-, *yeh₁ro- (“year, spring”), *yeh₁-.
- IPA(key): [(j)iːr]
year (plural year)