English Online Dictionary. What means understanding? What does understanding mean?
- (UK) IPA(key): /ʌndəˈstandɪŋ/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˌʌndəɹˈstændɪŋ/
- Rhymes: -ændɪŋ
understanding (countable and uncountable, plural understandings) (with of, but with for in sense of "sympathy")
- (uncountable) Mental, sometimes emotional process of comprehension, assimilation of knowledge, which is subjective by its nature.
- (countable) Reason or intelligence, ability to grasp the full meaning of knowledge, ability to infer.
- (countable) Opinion, judgement or outlook.
- (countable) An informal contract; mutual agreement.
- (countable) A reconciliation of differences.
- (uncountable) Sympathy.
- peace that passeth understanding
understanding (comparative more understanding, superlative most understanding)
- Showing compassion.
- (dated) Knowing; skilful.
- present participle of understand