English Online Dictionary. What means ultimately? What does ultimately mean?
ultimate + -ly
- IPA(key): /ˈʌltɪmətli/
- Hyphenation: ul‧tim‧ate‧ly
ultimately (not comparable)
- Indicating the last item.
- Firstly, ... Secondly, ... Ultimately, ...
- Indicating the most important action.
- Ultimately, he will have to make a decision before the end of the week.
- (linguistics) Used to indicate the etymon at which a given etymological derivation terminates.
- Cognate to Gottscheerish boßər, bàsser. Ultimately cognate to standard High German Wasser.
- Shortened from maxiature, ultimately from Latin maximus ("large").
- Ultimately from Latin equus ("horse").
- (last item): at last, finally, in the end; see also Thesaurus:lastly
- (most important action): at the end of the day, when all is said and done; see also Thesaurus:fundamentally
- (terminal etymon):
- ultimately at OneLook Dictionary Search