English Online Dictionary. What means uh? What does uh mean?
Onomatopoeia of the natural expression of thought. Compare with er.
- IPA(key): /ʌː/
- Rhymes: -ʌ
- Expression of thought, confusion, or uncertainty.
- Uh, who was that?
- Space filler or pause during conversation.
- Uh, let me see...
May be extended by repeating the letter u or h to express increasingly severe confusion:
- Uuuuh, right, that makes sense, I guess.
- Uhhhh, right, that makes sense, I guess.
uh (plural uhs)
- An occurrence of the interjection "uh".
- HU, Hu, hu
- er, uh
uh (transliteration needed)
- (astronomy) moon
- IPA(key): /u/, /uː/
- Homophone: u
- Used to express disappointment or disdain.