English Online Dictionary. What means tourism? What does tourism mean?
From tour + -ism.
- IPA(key): /tɔːɹɪz(ə)m/, /ˈtʊ(ə)ɹɪz(ə)m/
tourism (usually uncountable, plural tourisms)
- The act of travelling or sightseeing, particularly away from one's home.
- The industry in which such travels and sightseeing are organized.
- Collectively, the tourists visiting a place or landmark. (Can we add an example for this sense?)
- (figuratively) The act of visiting another region or jurisdiction for a particular purpose.
- libel tourism; suicide tourism; sex tourism
- → French: tourisme (see there for further descendants)
- morutis, rims out