English Online Dictionary. What means sailing? What does sailing mean?
- IPA(key): /ˈseɪ.lɪŋ/
- Rhymes: -eɪlɪŋ
- present participle of sail
From Middle English saylinge, seilinge, variants of sailende, seilende; equivalent to sail + -ing.
sailing (not comparable)
- Travelling by ship.
- sailing boat
- sailing ship
- sailing dinghy
- sailing vessel
From Middle English sailyng, seyling; equivalent to sail + -ing.
sailing (countable and uncountable, plural sailings)
- Motion across a body of water in a craft powered by the wind, as a sport or otherwise
- Navigation; the skill needed to operate and navigate a vessel
- the time of departure from a port
- (countable) a scheduled voyage by a ferry or ship.
- clear sailing
- plain sailing
- “sailing”, in Lexico, Dictionary.com; Oxford University Press, 2019–present.
- Gilanis, ailings, aisling, nilgais