English Online Dictionary. What means sailing? What does sailing mean?
- IPA(key): /ˈseɪlɪŋ/
- Rhymes: -eɪlɪŋ
From Middle English sailyng, seyling, equivalent to sail + -ing.
sailing (countable and uncountable, plural sailings)
- Motion across a body of water in a craft powered by the wind, as a sport or otherwise
- Navigation; the skill needed to operate and navigate a vessel
- the time of departure from a port
- (countable) a scheduled voyage by a ferry or ship.
From Middle English saylinge, seilinge, variants of sailende, seilende, equivalent to sail + -ing.
sailing (not comparable)
- Travelling by ship
- present participle of sail
- “sailing” (US) / “sailing” (UK) in Oxford Dictionaries, Oxford University Press.
- Gilanis, ailings, aisling, nilgais