English Online Dictionary. What means raising? What does raising mean?
From Middle English reisyng; equivalent to raise + -ing.
- IPA(key): /ˈɹeɪzɪŋ/
- Rhymes: -eɪzɪŋ
- Homophone: razing
- Hyphenation: rais‧ing
- present participle of raise
raising (plural raisings)
- Nurturing; cultivation; providing sustenance and protection for a living thing from conception to maturity
- Collection or gathering, especially of money.
- (US) The operation or work of setting up the frame of a building.
- to help at a raising
- The operation of embossing sheet metal, or of forming it into cup-shaped or hollow articles, by hammering, stamping, or spinning.
- air sign, airings, arising