English Online Dictionary. What means painting? What does painting mean?
- IPA(key): /ˈpeɪn.tɪŋ/
- Rhymes: -eɪntɪŋ
- present participle of paint
painting (countable and uncountable, plural paintings)
- (countable) An illustration or artwork done with the use of paint.
- "My tastes," he said, still smiling, "incline me to the garishly sunlit side of this planet." And, to tease her and arouse her to combat: "I prefer a farandole to a nocturne; I'd rather have a painting than an etching; Mr. Whistler bores me with his monochromatic mud; I don't like dull colours, dull sounds, dull intellects; […]."
- (uncountable) The action of applying paint to a surface.
- (uncountable) The same activity as an art form.
The same activity as an art form
- third art
- cave painting
- oil painting