English Online Dictionary. What means lan? What does lan mean?
- work, task
- annoyance, trouble
- lan egin 'work' (v.)
- lantegi 'workplace'
- the (definite article)
Use this word only after a word that ends with a nasal vowel and an oral (non-nasal) consonant, in that order, and when it modifies a singular noun.
From Proto-Slavic *lьnъ, from Proto-Indo-European *lino-; cognate with Upper Sorbian len, Polish len, Czech len, Russian лён (ljon), Old Church Slavonic льнѣнъ (lĭněnŭ).
- IPA(key): /lan/
lan m (diminutive lank)
- flax (“Linum usitatissimum”)
- Nonstandard spelling of lán.
- Nonstandard spelling of lǎn.
- Nonstandard spelling of làn.
- English transcriptions of Mandarin speech often fail to distinguish between the critical tonal differences employed in the Mandarin language, using words such as this one without the appropriate indication of tone.
From a Slavic form; compare Ukrainian лан (lan).
lan n (plural lanuri)
- field (arable land)
From Proto-Slavic *lьnъ.
lȁn m (Cyrillic spelling ла̏н)
Borrowed from Portuguese lã, from Old Portuguese lãa (“wool”), from Latin lāna (“wool”), from Proto-Indo-European *h₂wĺ̥h₁neh₂ (“wool”).
- mate (clarification of this definition is needed)
- (Hà Nội) IPA(key): [laːn˧˧]
- (Huế) IPA(key): [laːŋ˧˧]
- (Hồ Chí Minh City) IPA(key): [laːŋ˧˧]
From Proto-Mon-Khmer *laaɲ (“to spread; to be propagated”); cognate with Bahnar lanh (“to spread”), Khasi laiñ-laiñ (“from place to place”), Mon သၞာန် (hənan, “to spread”) (through a prefixed form). Compare also tràn (“to overflow”).
- to spread; to run
Sino-Vietnamese word from 蘭.
(classifier cây, bông, hoa) lan
- John Carter, Katie Carter, John Grummitt, Bonnie MacKenzie, Janell Masters, A Sociolinguistic Survey of the Mur Village Vernaculars (2012)
- IPA(key): /lan/
- Soft mutation of llan.
From Old Norse *lǫ́n, from Proto-Germanic *laihwną, from Proto-Indo-European *leykʷ-.
- IPA(key): /loːɳ/, /lɑːɳ/, /loːn/
- A loan.
- A confused, lost person.
- Alternative spelling of land
From Proto-Tai *ʰlaːnᴬ (“nephew; niece; grandchild”). Cognate with Thai หลาน (lǎan), Lao ຫຼານ (lān), Tai Dam ꪨꪱꪙ, Shan လၢၼ် (lǎan), Ahom 𑜎𑜃𑜫 (lan), Saek หล่าน.
- (Standard Zhuang) IPA(key): /laːn˨˦/
- Tone numbers: lan1
- Hyphenation: lan
lan (old orthography lan)