English Online Dictionary. What means failure? What does failure mean?
From Anglo-Norman failer, from Old French faillir (“to fail”).
- (Canada, General American) IPA(key): /ˈfeɪlˌjɚ/
failure (countable and uncountable, plural failures)
- State or condition of not meeting a desirable or intended objective, opposite of success.
- An object, person or endeavour in a state of failure or incapable of success.
- Termination of the ability of an item to perform its required function; breakdown. (Can we add an example for this sense?)
- (person incapable of success): loser
- (state or condition): success, triumph