English Online Dictionary. What means calendar? What does calendar mean?
From Middle English kalender, from Old French calendier, from Latin calendarium (“account book”), from calendae (“the first day of the month”), from calare (“to announce solemnly, to call out (the sighting of the new moon)”), from Proto-Indo-European *kelh₁-.
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈkæl.ən.də/
- (US) enPR: kălʹəndər, IPA(key): /ˈkæl.ən.dɚ/, [ˈkʰæl.(ə)n.dɚ]
- Rhymes: -əndə(ɹ)
- Homophone: calender
calendar (plural calendars)
- Any system by which time is divided into days, weeks, months, and years.
- A means to determine the date consisting of a document containing dates and other temporal information.
- A list of planned events.
- An orderly list or enumeration of persons, things, or events; a schedule.
- (US) An appointment book (US), appointment diary (UK)
- Calendar should not be confused with calender.
- (list of planned events): agenda, schedule, docket; calends (uncommon)
calendar (third-person singular simple present calendars, present participle calendaring, simple past and past participle calendared)
- (law) To set a date for a proceeding in court, usually done by a judge at a calendar call.
- To enter or write in a calendar; to register.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Waterhouse to this entry?)
- (Gregorian calendar months) Gregorian calendar month; January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December (Category: en:Gregorian calendar months)
- (Hebrew calendar months) Hebrew calendar month; Tishrei, Cheshvan, Kislev, Tevet, Shevat, Adar, Nisan, Iyar, Sivan, Tammuz, Av, Elul (Category: en:Hebrew calendar months)
- (Islamic calendar months) Islamic calendar month; Muharram, Safar, Rabi I, Rabi II, Jumada I, Jumada II, Rajab, Sha'aban, Ramadan, Shawwal, Dhu al-Qida, Dhu al-Hijjah (Category: en:Islamic months)
- landcare, landrace
- călindar (popular)
Borrowed (in this form) from Latin calendārium. Compare the inherited doublet cărindar.
calendar n (plural calendare)