English Online Dictionary. What means behalf? What does behalf mean?
From Middle English bihalve (“nearby”), from Old English bī healfe (“by [his/her] side”), from bī (“by”) + healfe (“side, half”), equivalent to be- + half.
- (US) enPR: bĭhăfˈ, bĭhäf, IPA(key): /bɪˈhæf/, /bɪˈhɑf/
- (UK) IPA(key): /bɪˈhɑːf/, /bəˈhɑːf/
- Rhymes: -ɑːf
behalf (plural behalves or behalfs)
- The interest, benefit, or wellbeing of someone or something.
- (when adopted by someone else) One's role or rightful place; stead or authority.
- on behalf of (UK, US)
- in behalf of (US)
- “behalf” in Lexico, Dictionary.com; Oxford University Press.
- behalf at OneLook Dictionary Search
- First-person singular preterite of behelfen.
- Third-person singular preterite of behelfen.