English Online Dictionary. What means backing? What does backing mean?
back + -ing
- IPA(key): /ˈbæk.ɪŋ(ɡ)/
- Rhymes: -ækɪŋ
backing (countable and uncountable, plural backings)
- Support, especially financial.
- It's a volunteer organization that works with backing from the city and a few grants.
- A liner or other material added behind or underneath.
- The cardboard backing gives the notebook a little extra stiffness.
- (music) Musicians and vocalists who support the main performer
backing (not comparable)
- (music) That which provides support for the main performer
- present participle of back
- king cab