English Online Dictionary. What means backed? What does backed mean?
- IPA(key): /bækt/
From back (verb)
- simple past tense and past participle of back
From back (noun) + -ed.
backed (not comparable)
- (obsolete, slang) Put on one's back; killed; rendered dead.
- He wishes to have the senior, or old square-toes, backed; he longs to have his father on six men's shoulders; that is, carried to the grave.
- (in combination) Having specified type of back.
- a high-backed chair
- red-backed shrike
- (in combination) Having specified type of backing.
- asset-backed securities
- lesser black-backed gull
- [Francis] Grose [et al.] (1811) , “Backed”, in Lexicon Balatronicum. A Dictionary of Buckish Slang, University Wit, and Pickpocket Eloquence. […], London: Printed for C. Chappell, […], OCLC 23927885.