English Online Dictionary. What means aboriginal? What does aboriginal mean?
- (US) IPA(key): /ˌæb.əˈɹɪd͡ʒ.n̩.l̩/, /ˌæb.əˈɹɪd͡ʒ.ɪn.l̩/
aboriginal (comparative more aboriginal, superlative most aboriginal)
- First according to historical or scientific records; original; indigenous; primitive. [First attested in the mid 17th century.]
- Living in a land before colonization by the Europeans. [First attested in the late 17th century.]
- Alternative letter-case form of Aboriginal [First attested in the late 18th century.]
- (indigenous to a place): native, indigenous, autochthonous, endemic, original, first, earliest, primitive, ancient, primordial, primeval
aboriginal (plural aboriginals)
- An animal or plant native to a region. [First attested in the mid 18th century.]
- Alternative letter-case form of Aboriginal [First attested in the mid 18th century.]
- Using uncapitalized aboriginal to refer to people or anything associated with people may cause offence.
- In Canada and Australia, style manuals recommend against using the noun Aboriginal for a person or people.
- See also the usage notes under Aboriginal.
- IPA(key): /aboɾixiˈnal/, [aβoɾixiˈnal]
aboriginal m or f (plural aboriginales)
- Aborigine (original inhabitant of Australia)