English Online Dictionary. What means abandoned? What does abandoned mean?
From Middle English abandoned, equivalent to abandon + -ed.
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /əˈbæn.dn̩d/
- (General American) IPA(key): /əˈbæn.dn̩d/
abandoned (comparative more abandoned, superlative most abandoned)
- Having given oneself up to vice; immoral; extremely wicked, or sinning without restraint; irreclaimably wicked. [First attested from 1350 to 1470]
- No longer maintained by its former owners, residents, or caretakers; forsaken, deserted. [Late 15th century]
- Free from constraint; uninhibited. [Late 17th century]
- (geology) No longer being acted upon by the geologic forces that formed it.
- simple past tense and past participle of abandon